The Natural Way Health Clinic
The World Health Organization estimates that cardiovascular diseases are the number one cause of death globally: more people die annually from cardiovascular diseases than from any other cause.
In order to prevent heart problems learn about the risk factors of cardiovascular diseases and how to manage them.
- Age: women over 55, men over 50 years of age
- High Blood Pressure: keep it around 120/80mmHg
- Obesity: BMI (body mass index) over 30 and waist to hip ratio over 0.9 for men and over 0.85 in women
- Elevated levels of triglycerides
- Smoking cigarettes and regular exposure to secondhand smoke
- Family history of premature heart disease
- Poor diet which leads to deficiency of vital nutrients
- Excessive alcohol and sugar consumption
- Physical inactivity
- Stress and negative emotions
- Dietary changes
- Nutritional supplementation
- Herbal medicine
- Weight management
- Healthy lifestyle habits
- Stress reduction techniques
Although it is well known at present time that lifestyle intervention is very helpful for prevention of cardiovascular disease, not many people receive intensive nutritional and lifestyle counselling.
The risk of heart disease may be considerably reduced through the use of natural therapies and applied by naturopathic medicine. The same approach can be very helpful for people who have already developed heart disease. Naturopathic doctors apply an individual treatment to every patient.
During an assessment, a naturopathic doctor will go through medical history, check a patient’s physical parameters (weight, height, BMI, wait circumference, pulse, blood pressure) and evaluate the risk factors for heart disease. The naturopathic doctor can then develop a plan for prevention of heart disease or a treatment plan if a heart problem has already developed.
Natural therapies include:
Have whole foods in your diet that provide you with essential nutrients such as protein, healthy fats and complex carbohydrates to support your optimal health and prevent cardiovascular diseases. Your nutrition needs to be rich with essential fatty acids, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants such as vitamins C, E,D and polyphenols.
We all need a lot of positive emotions in order to stay in optimal health and prevent cardiovascular diseases. Love and joy are very nurturing for our heart health. Learn to overcome pessimistic views of life and establish a positive mental attitude.
Description Courtesy of The Ontario Association of Naturopathic Medicine